Stephen E. Shepard
Stephen E. Shepard
Steve Shepard is a knowledgeable attorney known in the Augusta community. He has practiced in Columbia and Richmond Counties in the Augusta Judicial Circuit for thirty five (35) years. He was graduated from Davidson College and University of Georgia School of Law.
Steve is experienced in all stages of trials, hearings and appellate practice in the areas of general civil litigation and local government law, personal injury, divorce, wills and estates.
Steve has been admitted to practice in all Georgia Courts of record; Georgia Court of Appeals, Georgia Supreme Court, United States District Court, Southern District of Georgia since 1976, United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit since 1981 and United States Supreme Court since 1983.
Steve and his wife, Kathie, are the parents of three daughters and members of Trinity-on-the-Hill United Methodist Church.
At Trinity-on-the-Hill United Methodist Church, Augusta, Georgia, Steve has served on the Administrative Board, Preschool Committee, Sunday School Class President, and Sunday School Teacher.
ELECTED and APPOINTED PUBLIC OFFICES HELD:
Richmond County Magistrate Judge 2011 - present
Augusta-Richmond County, County Attorney 2004-2007; Outside Counsel 2008-Present
Augusta-Richmond County Commissioner, 1998 – 2003; Chairman, Finance Committee
2000 - 2003
Administrative Services and Public Safety Committees Member
City Council of Augusta Member 1986-1989
Waterworks, Transit, Recorder's Court, Public Works, and Community Development
City Council of Augusta, Assistant to City Attorney 1976-1982
Augusta-Richmond County Public Library, Trustee and Board President
East Central Georgia Regional Library Board, Trustee
General Aviation Commission (Daniel Field Airport), Member and Chairman
Areas of Practice
- Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Local Government Law
- Georgia, 1976
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Georgia, 1976
- Georgia Court of Appeals
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1983
- University of Georgia School of Law, Athens, Georgia
- J.D. - 1976
- Davidson College
- Major: Political Science
- Tribble v. Knight, 238 Ga. 84, 231 S.E.2d 68 (1976)
- Gleason v. City Council of Augusta, 242 Ga. 796, 251 S.E.2d 536 (1979)
- City Council of Augusta v. Nevils, 149 Ga.App. 688, 255 S.E.2d 140 (1979)
- Tchorz v. State, 197 Ga.App. 185, 397 S.E.2d 619 (1990)
- Horsley v. Horsley, 268 Ga. 460, 490 SE2d 392 (1997)
- Howard v. Johnson, 264 Ga.App. 660, 592 SE2d 93 (2003)
- Merry v. Williams, 281 Ga. 571, 642 S.E.2d 46 (2007)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Augusta Bar Association, Member
- Georgia Trial Lawyers Association, Member
Pro Bono Activities
- Augusta Lions Club, 1979 - Present
- President, Augusta Lions Club, 1983 - 1984
- Member, Augusta Chapter, American Red Cross Board of Directors, 1984 - 1986
- Trinity-on-the-Hill United Methodist Church, Augusta, Georgia
- President, Davidson College Alumni Association, Augusta Chapter, 1990 - 1991
We can help,
Contact us today!
Fill out our convenient intake form below
or call one of our offices today.